Monday, January 19, 2009

A Trip to Lexington Kentucky


Lexington, Kentucky.......the horse capital of the world!  And UK Basketball!!! Finally, when we were in KY for Christmas, I took Tommy to Lexington, my college alma mater.  We saw his first ever UK Basketball game and took a tour of some local horse farms.  It was a wonderful trip, just husband and wife.  It really made me homesick, but I got to show off some of the most beautiful country in the world.....Kentucky!
This is Tommy and I with a very cooperative horse looking over our shoulder!  The traditional white horse fences have to be repainted every year and cost on the average $31 per foot.  The black fences are sprayed with a special asphalt substance that is safe for the horses and only need to be re-done every 5 years.  I paid close attention on the tour!!!
We saw Tommy's first ever UK Basketball game.  They played a no-name team, and it was a blow out.  Luckily for me I was focused elsewhere....my favorite part of the game of course, the cheerleaders!  I don't know if most of you know, but I cheered in college for Transy (a small liberal arts college in Lexington just next door to UK).  We got the privilege of training with some of the UK cheerleaders. They hold more national championships that the Men's basketball team.  I think they've won like 13 out of the past 20 years.  Truly amazing!!  Anyway, this is the classic wildcat pyramid.  They do it EVERY game and it has been a long standing UK tradition.  Rupp Arena is unbelievable.  Tommy was even awestruck there.  It holds about 23,000 and almost EVERY game is sold out. This is college basketball people!  If only the Magic had this much support.
The famous Calumet Farms.  Over 1200 acres with 35 miles of white fences.  It has been used in several movies including "Seabiscuit" and "Dreamer."  Our trip was wonderful.  Thanks Mom and Nannie for keeping Zach and making it possible. :)

1 comment:

WPMomOf2 (jen) said...

wow, looks like a fun trip. I had no idea you were a cheerleader, how fun!